This document outlines the policies for linking to and from any Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB) website.
Links to a THECB Website:
Advance permission to link to a THECB website is not necessary. However, be aware that subpages may change at any time without notice. Entities and individuals linking to a THECB website must continuously verify links to our subpages.
Entities and individuals linking to a THECB website shall not capture pages within frames, present THECB website content as its own, or otherwise misrepresent THECB website content or misinform users about the origin or ownership of THECB website content. Any link to a THECB website should be a full forward link that passes the client browser to the site unencumbered. The Back button should return the visitor to its site if the visitor wishes to back out.
Links from a THECB Website:
This section outlines the criteria and requirements that external websites must meet to have a link from a THECB website. It also details how links are accepted and removed from THECB websites.
THECB websites are not a forum for public communication and debate. The following criteria have been established to preserve the non-public forum nature of THECB websites. We accept link requests made by federal, state, and local governments that provide information and services that pertain to higher education. At its discretion, the THECB may link to non-governmental websites that contain information and/or services that further the purpose of the THECB. Every link request must undergo review to determine its relevance and appropriateness to the THECB mission of providing information about higher education. Links are approved for THECB websites based on the following criteria:
- The external website corresponds with the THECB mission.
- The site's content is appropriate with respect to the THECB mission and is not a:
- Commercial site which charges a fee for products or services online; (Notices of the availability of publications by government entities that charge for the publications or notices of government sponsored conferences that charge a registration fee are not commercial sites and may be considered for linking.)
- Site that exhibits hate, bias, discrimination, pornography; libelous or otherwise defamatory content;
- Site belonging to or supporting a political affiliation; or
- Site which furthers the agenda of a political organization or candidate running for office.
To give superior customer service to citizens and businesses accessing governmental information and services through THECB websites, we require that external Web sites requesting a link on a THECB website meet the following requirements:
- The linked site must provide the user with an email address and/or a customer service telephone number, in order for users to contact the site if there are problems with format, accuracy, timeliness, or payment processing. Any customer support required by the THECB may result in a charge of fees to the linked site.
- When the user clicks on the external web site link, he/she must have easy access back to the THECB website. One of two options can accomplish this:
- A link to the THECB website can be established on the external website's main page; or
- The "Back" button returns the user to the THECB website.
- Linked sites must comply with accepted standards as provided by the Worldwide Web Consortium (w3c.org) to ensure that persons with disabilities may access these sites. Texas state agencies must follow Texas Administrative Code Chapter 206, concerning state websites.
- Removal Process
Links from THECB websites will be reviewed regularly and may be removed for the following reasons:
- The link no longer points to the original information or resource to which it was intended to point.
- The information pointed to by the link is inaccurate, misleading or otherwise violates the criteria and requirements set forth above.
- Access to the information has become difficult due to non-standard formatting, lengthy download times, or intrusive advertising.
- The link is permanently unreachable or remains unavailable for a lengthy period, especially if we are unable to contact the site manager about the site's status.
For questions regarding the linking policy, or to request a link, please send a comment via our Inquiries link at Inquiries/Technical Website Questions.