Texas Reskilling and Upskilling through Education (TRUE) Grant Program 2022
The goal of the Texas Reskilling and Upskilling through Education (TRUE) Grant Program is to build a talent-strong Texas through the creation, expansion, or redesign of workforce education and training programs in high-demand occupations. These programs will be developed and provided by Texas public community colleges and technical institutions of higher education, in consultation and partnership with workforce stakeholders. They will lead to certifications or workforce credentials that create pathways to employment.
The Texas Legislature established TRUE during the 87th Texas Legislature, Regular Session, as codified in Texas Education Code, Sections 61.881-61.886. The 87th Texas Legislature, Third Called Special Session provided appropriations to implement the TRUE program through Senate Bill (SB) 8. SB 8 provides funding for TRUE from the Coronavirus State Fiscal Recovery Fund (42 U.S.C. Section 802), established under the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021 (Pub. L. No. 117-2).
TRUE Grant Program funding will be awarded competitively through a request-for-applications (RFA) process. The projects proposed must be for education and training programs shorter than six months in duration, industry-aligned, in high-value/high-need fields, and developed with the participation of key workforce actors such as workforce boards, economic development corporations, trade associations, industry representatives, and employers.
PLEASE NOTE: The TRUE Grant Program is a new effort in 2022 and should not be mistaken for the fall 2021 GEER-funded TRUE Institutional Capacity Grants initiative.
The Texas Legislature appropriated $15 million for the TRUE Grant Program through SB 8 (87th Legislature, Third Called Special Session). The appropriated funds are from the federal Coronavirus State Fiscal Recovery Fund (42 U.S.C. Section 802), established under the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021.
Grants will be competitively provided to eligible applicants, who are:
- Texas public community colleges and state technical colleges; or
- a consortium of three or more Texas public community colleges and state technical colleges; or
- local chambers of commerce, trade associations, or economic development corporations that partner with a public Texas community colleges and state technical colleges or a consortium of Texas public community colleges and state technical colleges.
RFA Informational Webinar
- TRUE Grant Program Informational Webinar - May 2, 2022
Grant Application Information
Applications for the TRUE Grant Program are due by 5:00 pm CST on May 23, 2022.
- Request for Applications (RFA) (PDF)
- Application and Instructions (PDF)
- Budget Request Form and Instructions (PDF)
- Informational Webinar - May 2, 2022
- Slide Deck (PDF) TBD
Point of Contact
All inquiries and communication concerning the TRUE Grant Program and the RFA should be directed in writing via email to Reskilling@highered.texas.gov.