Exemptions and Waivers
Texas offers various programs that exempt or waive tuition, fees, and other expenses related to attending public institutions of higher education. Programs offered can be mandatory which require participation while others are optional.
- Exemptions: allow special groups of Texas residents or nonresidents to enroll and pay a reduced amount of tuition or fees.
- Waivers: allow special groups of nonresidents to enroll and pay a reduced nonresident tuition rate.
All exemption or waiver programs, whether mandatory or optional, apply only to courses for which an institution can receive formula funding.
Formula Funding: is defined as the method used to allocate appropriated sources of funds among institutions of higher education. Formula-funded courses are those that do not depend solely on student tuition and fees to cover their costs.
BLIND/DEAF STUDENT EXEMPTION
CHILDREN OF DISABLED OR DECEASED FIREFIGHTERS AND LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS
- Children of Disabled or Deceased Firefighters and Law Enforcement Officers Guidelines [PDF]
- Eligibility Determination Form [PDF]
EDUCATION BENEFITS FOR CERTAIN SURVIVORS
EDUCATIONAL AIDE EXEMPTION (EAE)
- FY 2021 EAE Guidelines [PDF]
- FY 2021 EAE Funds Request Form [PDF]
- FY 2021 EAE Allocations [PDF]
- 2020-21 EAE Application [PDF]
- FY 2020 EAE Guidelines [PDF]
FIREFIGHTERS ENROLLED IN FIRE SCIENCE COURSES
FOSTER CARE EXEMPTION
GOOD NEIGHBOR PROGRAM (GNP)
- Good Neighbor Program (GNP) Guidelines [PDF]
- FY 2021 GNP Online Recommendation Instructions [PDF]
- FY 2020 GNP Online Recommendation Instructions [PDF]
- CBPass log-in