Institutional Authorization to Operate in Texas

Private postsecondary institutions operating in Texas and offering degree programs must apply for and obtain either a Certificate of Authorization (for institutions accredited by a THECB-recognized institutional accreditor) or a Certificate of Authority (for institutions working toward THECB-recognized institutional accreditation). Postsecondary institutions which are limiting their presence in Texas to agents must register each agent. This page provides information and forms required to be in compliance with these requirements. 


Approval Processes for degree-granting colleges and universities other than Texas public institutions.

Private postsecondary institutions operating in Texas

Applying for Institutional Authorization
All degree-granting private postsecondary institutions which seek to operate in Texas or out-of-state public or private degree-granting institutions whose activities, including clinicals or internships, trigger physical presence must apply for institutional authority before offering degrees or courses leading to degrees in Texas.

Surety Instrument Requirement
Institutions operating under either a Certificate of Authority or a Certificate of Authorization are required to file a current Surety Instrument with the Coordinating Board. Guidelines, templates and a calculation worksheet are found under Resources for Institutions.

Certificate of Authorization

Authorization of accredited degree-granting private postsecondary institutions or out-of-state public postsecondary institutions to offer degrees and courses leading to degrees at a Texas location.

Submit Certificate of Authorization application and supporting documentation via Certificate of Authorization Institution Portal (CAIP). Instructions for using the online portal can be found here: CAIP Submission Instructions. Inquiries regarding the CAIP Portal should be directed to

Certificate of Authority

Application and guidelines for institutions seeking accreditation from a Board-recognized institutional accreditor.

Registration of Agents

Application for a certificate of registration of an agent of a postsecondary educational institution that does not have a Certificate of Authorization or a Certificate of Authority.

Inquiries regarding Institutional Authorization should be directed to